lexus forum  

Go Back   Lexus Forums > Lexus Forums (Crossovers and SUVs) > Lexus LX Forum

Notices

Lexus LX Forum Discussion forum for topics in regards to the Lexus LX450, LX470, LX570

Lexus Forum: lexus lx470 transmission problem?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Vixo25 is on a distinguished road
Default lexus lx470 transmission problem?

My LX470 died on the freeway yesterday. Engine was fine but the car wouldn't move. I pulled over and tried to restart it and put it back in D, but no dice, the engine just revved free. So I had it towed to my uncle's house and he said he had to push the thing back in the garage several times. Later in the week, he calls saying the car drives perfectly fine, shifts fine, etc. What could cause such a drastic change all of a sudden? PLEASE HELP!!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM

southern catdaddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: lexus lx470 transmission problem?

My LX470 died on the freeway on Friday 11/07/08. Your experience sounds exactly like your mine. Lexus sent a flatbed and towed it to the nearest dealership since I was 300miles away from hom. The engine was fine but the car wouldn't move. I pulled over and tried to restart it and put it in N, R and D, but no dice, the engine just revved, I did hear some aweful weird grinding sounds.

The dealership is recommending a new transmission. The vehicle is a 2001 with 125K miles, has never had any problems and last month completed the 120K mile service, so Im a bit shocked that this issue is occuring.

Im now wondering based on your post whether I should wait to replace the transmission especially since it will be very expensive.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM

jasonhavens is on a distinguished road

Our 2003 Lexus LX470 has had some shifting problems for some time. They seemed to resolve. However, now our local mechanic tells us that we need a new transmission! Our SUV has just over 100K miles, which is conveniently beyond the warranty period. We did have it serviced for these types of issues, though, when it was covered. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced similar issues. I need to look to see the transmission problem rating of our model and year, as suggested by another forum.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:48 AM

krist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixo25 View Post
My LX470 died on the freeway yesterday. Engine was fine but the car wouldn't move. I pulled over and tried to restart it and put it back in D, but no dice, the engine just revved free. So I had it towed to my uncle's house and he said he had to push the thing back in the garage several times. Later in the week, he calls saying the car drives perfectly fine, shifts fine, etc. What could cause such a drastic change all of a sudden? PLEASE HELP!!
It sound like a problem in your linkage. I feel so, while driving just get it in neutral and without much force push it to drive.