lexus forum  

Go Back   Lexus Forums > Lexus Forums (Cars) > Lexus ES Forum

Lexus ES Forum Discussion forum for topics in regards to the Lexus ES250, ES300, ES300h, ES330, ES350

Lexus Forum: 97 Lexus ES300 Blinking Check Engine Light-rattling When Stopped?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM

starronda is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Lexus ES300 Blinking Check Engine Light-rattling When Stopped?

A few days my check engine light came on and now it's blinking. When I stop at a light, my car shakes, but then goes back to driving normal. I have an appointment at the dealership on Thursday afternoon. Just wanted to know if its safe for me to drive till then. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thx. You were very helpful. I've never had problems with the car since I've had it. I hope it's something minor like everyone said. I'll keep you posted

mike is on a distinguished road

You Have a type B Misfire event occuring when the light is blinking. This is an indication the the vehicle is misfiring at a rate to cause Cat converter damage. You probibly are either around 80K or 150K miles on the odometer. You need to have a tune up preformed soon before you also need a Cat. This is probibly be a minor issue costing, around 300-400$ if done properly. Plugs wires, fuel filter, and throttle body cleaning. You car is a good one and is not know to have any other real issues.

Get it fixed soon than later or you will be on the hook for another 300 - 500 for a new Cat.

Do not take it to the dealership. You need to ask some friends for a referral to a good independant shop. You'll get poped at the dealer. Don't take it to a chain store like sears, firestone, big o tires quickie tune and lube either. You need to find a busy shop. Repair shops are like resturants. A busy one is a good indication of competence. I always tell family members, if your treated with respect and courtesy, and if you tell the service advisor whats going on and ask him/her to explain the significance of the flashing light, they should be able to say pretty much what I've just told you, making sure your comfortable with what going on.

nighttime_ran is on a distinguished road

The computer is telling your car that it has a problem.If you have a auto parts store that has a code checker and would do it for free.Also remove the battery cable off the positive and wait for 2 min. and see if it resets and if it returns then stop driving it.Good Luck.

Steve S is on a distinguished road

Random misfire. You need new plugs and wires. Not a good idea to drive unless you're driving it to the shop.

EDIT: If you pay more than $150 for plugs and wires installed, you're being ripped off.